Thursday, December 12, 2013

Start your day light!

Ahh, the dilemma of breakfast. It's 6:20am, your alarm just rang and you realize you have 25 minutes to get up, brush, dress, take the dog out and pray that it's not sub 40 so you don't freeze for the first 10 minutes of the drive to work. Then it hits you, BREAKFAST. Well, your options are limited. Grab whatever there is in the fridge, go to dunkins or starbucks or just grab a bar to go.

If you think about it, it takes an average of 5-10 minutes to get through dunkins or starbucks, at least at the ones I frequent. It takes less than 3 minutes to whip up a healthy breakfast and even less if you prep it the night before. I guess healthy is subjective. I consider yogurt, flax, honey and fruit to be a healthier alternative to starbucks and dunkins, though some could argue that the sugars and fats are not "good" for me. That's another story for another day.

I believe in starting my day out light. Who died and made eggs, sausage, toast and hash a breakfast food? Personally, I prefer something like that at dinner. Something heavy to put me right to sleep. Start my day like that? Sure, I'll do it because I am accustomed to it but I really don't feel great afterwards. Life is short. Or as Gretchen Rubin would say "the days are long, but the years are short". Well, if the days are indeed long, I want to start off right. I also don't drink coffee (when I do have coffee, it's because I like the taste). My good friend Alden once pointed out that he ate a fruit whenever he felt sleepy, the natural sugars gave him a boost. I thought he was full of it but here I am, eating fruit for breakfast to feel more awake.

                                       

Breakfast:
Full fat greek yogurt: I just got into the greek yogurt "craze". I like it because for its consistency.
Raw honey (teaspoon)
2 teaspoon of raw organic flaxseed (crushed/shaved/whatever)
Smorgasbord of fruit: today it's kiwi, cantaloupe, strawberry, blueberry, grapes and pineapple.
- I buy the fruit spread at wholefoods for 20 bucks and it lasts about 10 days. Yes, I know this is expensive but you know what? The fruit is always sweet, never sour, it's always fresh and I am much more likely to eat it if I don't have to wash/cut/peel and pack it.



No comments:

Post a Comment